Las Vegas is one of the few cities in the world that can evoke such strong mental images and emotional connections upon the statement of its name. Las Vegas doesn’t have the elitist grandeur and size of New York City, the spice of Miami, the romance of Paris, or the voodoo of New Orleans. What Las Vegas has is something a little foggier. For some reason- and you can’t quite put your finger on it- you have the vaguest memories of losing lots of money, only to win it all back and sit on the top, just to lose it again and blackout in your hotel room. But that couldn’t have been you, right? You were a calm and collected man when you entered the city, but now you are leaving it as an animal, as a man who has harnessed his sins to become part beast. That’s the beauty of Las Vegas. However, it isn’t just all about the casino hotels and bars. Sure, that’s an essential part of it, but there is plenty going on here to keep you entertained.
1. Helicopter tour of the city- Maverick Helicopter is one of the companies that does aerial tours of Las Vegas, taking you over the top of the city that makes people feel on top of the world. The tours are fantastic, and give you a beautiful view of Vegas and the surrounding desert.
2. Bellagio Fountains- You absolutely must see this. The Bellagio Fountains have choreographed water shows to the tunes of Frank Sinatra and company every fifteen minutes after 8pm. This is where the Ocean’s 11 crew stood and stared after completing their grand heist.
3. Shark Reed Aquarium- It’s not just sharks; there are crocodiles, sting rays, and even komodo dragons on display by the hundreds here, making it pretty impressive to visit.
4. New York-New York Roller Coaster- This roller coaster goes right through the New York-New York hotel, which is a spectacular hotel designed after, well, New York City, but with that added Las Vegas tacky charm that makes the city so special.
5. Downtown Las Vegas- Downtown Vegas is the old part of the city, where people used to flock to before the strip to stare at entirely too many lights and lose their money. This place has more of an “end of the night” kind of vibe to it, but it is still a very fun spot to check out.
6. Dig This- Remember when you had that dream as a kid of playing with massive construction equipment? Well, someone actually went through with it and made Dig This, which is America’s only heavy construction equipment playground for adults. Nothing makes you feel more in charge than winning big at the Blackjack tables and then controlling a bulldozer.
7. World Class Driving- Las Vegas really does have a way of making you feel like you’re on top of the world. Here, you can drive around in Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s around Red Rock Canyon, taking your dream car well past the speed limit for the first, and possibly only, time in your life.
8. Luxor- The Luxor is the pyramid-shaped hotel and casino on the strip of Las Vegas. The casino is one of the Vegas classics, and the rooms are stunning. It costs a good deal to get in here, but then you can go get good and drunk at your casino and stumble back to your room with you winnings… or your I.O.U.
9. MGM Grand– This hotel and casino is another Vegas classic. The MGM Grand is proud to call itself the second largest hotel in the world, based on the number of rooms.
10. Just stroll around the strip- There are so many casinos and bars to wander in and out of on Las Vegas’ strip that we can’t just name all of them. You also shouldn’t limit yourself to just one. Take a stroll (or a drive) down the strip and just take in the grandeur and beauty of everything Vegas has to offer, and be glad that someone got the crazy idea to build this mad house.
Fly to Las Vegas from Australia from around AUD $1500 – check out Airfares Flights for more information.